Give the various functions performed by the plant hormones.
The various functions performed by the plant hormones are:
- Auxins promote cell enlargement and cell differentiadon. They also promote growth.
- Gibberellins promote cell enlargement and cell differentiation in the presence of auxin. It also help in breaking the dormancy in seeds and buds. It promote the growth in fruits.
- Cytokinins promote cell division and help in breaking the dormancy of seeds and buds. It delay the ageing in leaves. It promotes the opening of stomata and also fruit growth.
- Abscisic acid promotes the dormancy in seeds and buds. It promotes the closing of stomata and falling of leaves. Inhibits growth, reverses the growth promoting effects of auxins and gibberellins. Its effects include wilting of leaves.
- Ethylene promotes the falling of leaves, ripening of fruits and helps in breaking bud dormancy.