Give the main reasons which have necessitated agricultural reforms.
Reforms in agriculture are necessary because of the following reasons:
- Sustained uses of land without compatible techno institutional changes have hindered the pace of agriculture development.
- Most of the farmers still depend on monsoons because large parts of the country still do not have irrigation facilities.
- Farmers still depend on natural fertility in order to earn’ on their agriculture, if they lack material resources, e.g. fertilizers etc.
- Ours is an agricultural economy and about 63% of people depend on agriculture for employment and livelihood, therefore reforms have to be implemented.
- For raising the agricultural production and productivity levels to produce sufficient food for the growing population.
- To overcome environmental, economic and social constraints, agricultural reforms have to be seriously implemented.
- The declining share in GDP is a matter of serious concern because decline and stagnation in agriculture will lead to decline in other spheres of economy.