Explain the objectives of the Non-Alignment Movement.
Following are the objectives of the Non-Aligned Movement:
- To keep the newly independent nations of Asia and Africa away from the rivalry of the two superpowers and preserve their newly acquired national independence.
- To eliminate all those factors and tendencies in the international arena that could lead to war.
- To protect the nascent freedom of the new born Asian and African countries and help them distance themselves from colonial domination.
- To oppose colonialism, imperialism and racial discrimination.
- To advocate sovereign equality of all States.
- To encourage friendly relations among countries.
- To advocate peaceful settlement of international disputes.
- To oppose the use of force and nuclear weapons in the international arena.
- To strengthen the United Nations Organisation as an organ of world peace.
- To protect human rights and the environment.