Explain the importance of conservation of minerals. Highlight any three measures to conserve them.
Answer: Importance of conservation of Minerals:
- Mineral resources are being rapidly consumed which takes millions of years to be created and concentrated.
- Mineral resources are finite and non-renewable
- Continued extraction of ores leads to increasing costs as mineral extraction comes from greater depths along with decreasing quality.
The three measures to conserve minerals are:
- It should be used in a planned a sustainable manner.
- Improved technology needs to be constantly evolved to allow use of low grade ores at low costs.
- Some of the metals are recyclables.
- Scrap of metal can be used and sore other substitute can be found.