Explain the functioning of Six’s Maximum and Minimum Thermometer.
Functioning of Six’s maximum and minimum thermometer:
- The instrument consists of a U-shaped glass tube.
- It has a spherical bulb at one end and a cylindrical bulb bent downwards at the other end.
- Mercury and alcohol are used in the thermometer.
- These liquids expand on heating and contract on cooling.
- The lower part is filled with mercury and the upper part is filled with alcohol.
- The tubes are graduated.
- There are two indicators, the lower ends of which give the reading.
- A magnet is used for adjustments.