Explain the factors that have lead to the weakening of the Caste System in India.
- Effort s of political leaders and social reformers like Gandhiji, BR Ambedkar who advocated and worked to establish a society in which caste inequalities are absent.
Socio-economic changes such as:
- Growth of literacy and education
- Occupational mobility
- Weakening of landlord’s position in the village.
- Breaking down of caste hierarchy have greatly contributed.
- The Constitution of India prohibited any caste-based discrimination and laid the foundations of policies to reverse the injustices of the caste system.
- Provision of fundamental rights has played a major role because these rights are provided to all citizens without any discrimination.