Explain, the cause of air pollution and the effect it have on other living organisms.
Causes of air Pollution
- Excessive burning of fossil fuels like coal and petroleum products large amount of oxides of nitrogen and sulphur (i.e. NO2, SO2). These oxides mix with air and cause acid rain leading to many harmful effect.
- Many industries release high amount of poisonous gases like carbon monoxide (CO) into the atmosphere, causing air pollution.
- Forest fires, excessive use of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), excessive mining and ore refining release harmful gases into the air leading to air pollution.
Effects of Air Pollution
It affects the respiratory system and causes diseases like asthma, lung cancer, pneumonia, etc.
- Pollutant gases cause allergies, irritation in eyes, lung, etc.
- Gases like NO2, SO2, etc., get dissolved in rain to give rise to acid rain.