Explain any three beliefs of conservatism that emerged after 1815.
- CONSERVATIVES believed that established traditional institutions of state and
- society like the monarchy, the church, social hierarchies, property and the family should be preserved.
- Most conservatives did not propose a return to the society of pre-revolutionary days. They realised from the changes initiated by Napoleon.
- A modem army, efficient bureaucracy, a dynamic economy, the evolution of feudalism and serfdom could strengthen autocratic monarchies in Europe.
- In 1815, the conservative regimes in Europe were autocratic. They did not tolerate criticism, dissent and tried to curb activities that questioned legitimacy of autocratic governments.