Explain any four legal measures taken by the government to empower the consumers in India.
THE following legal measures are taken by the government to empower the consumer.
- Agro Product Grading and Marketing Act, 1937.
- Essential Commodities Act, 1955. ’
- Environment Safety Act, 1974. .
- Weight and Measures Act, 1976.
- Commodity Adulteration Preventive Act, 1976.
- Bureau of Indian Standard Act, 1986.
- Consumer Protection Act, 1986.
- Consumer Courts have been set up at the different levels - District, State and National. They provide justice to consumers who have been treated unfairly in the market place.