Explain any five features of Federalism.
Features of Federalism:
- There are two or more levels of government.
- Different levels of government govern the same citizens, where each level has its own jurisdiction in specific matters of legislation, taxation and administration.
- Existence and authority of each level of government is constitutionally governed.
- The fundamental provisions of the constitution cannot be unilaterally changed. Such changes require the consent of both the levels of government.
- Courts have the power to interpret the constitution. The highest court acts as the umpire if any dispute arises between different levels of government.
- Sources of revenue for each level of government are specified to ensure its financial autonomy.