Examine the role of pressure groups and movements in deepening democracy.
Pressure groups and movements have deepened democracy.
- It reminds the government of the needs and concerns of ordinary citizens.
- Put pressure on the rulers for the unhealthy activities.
- It performs a useful role of countering undue influence of the rich and powerful people.
- One single group cannot achieve dominance over society.
- The government gets to hear about what different sections of the population want.
- This leads to a rough balance of power and accommodation of conflicting interests.