Examine the main ‘challenge’ before political parties?
- Challenges before Political Parties :
- Lack of internal democracy within parties. There is a tendency in political parties towards the concentration of power in one or few leaders at the top. Parties do not keep membership registers. They do not organise meetings. They do not conduct internal elections regularly.
- Dynastic succession is the major challenge. Most of the political parties do not practise open and transparent procedures for their functioning. There are very few ways for an ordinary worker to rise to the top in a party.
- The growing role of money and muscle power in parties especially during elections. Parties are focussed only on winning elections. They tend to use short-cuts to win election.
- They tend to nominate those candidates who have or can raise lots of money.
- Democrats all over the world are worried about the increasing role of rich people and big companies in democratic politics.
- Parties do not seem to offer a meaningful choice to the voters. There has been a decline in the ideological differences among parties in most parts of the world.