Enumerate some measures that are taken to regulate election campaigns.
In a democracy, it is best to leave political parties and candidates free to conduct election campaign. But it is also necessary to regulate campaign to ensure that every political party and candidate gets a fair and equal chance to compete In our election law, certain regulations are implemented on campaign. According to these regulations, no party or candidate can:
- bribe or threaten voters in direct or indirect basis.
- use any place of worship, or appeal to the voters in the name of religion or caste.
- use government resources, government vehicles, aircrafts tor elections.
- spend more than ? 25 lakh in a constituency for a Lok Sabha election and 10 lakh in a constituency for an Assembly election.
- once elections are announced, no minister can lay foundation stones of any project or take any policy decision.