What are the minimum conditions for a democratic election?
Do people have real choice in a democratic election?
Minimum conditions for democratic elections are as follows:
- Everyone should be able to choose. This means that everyone should have one vote and every vote should have equal value.
- Parties and candidates should be free to contest elections and should offer some real choice to the voters.
- The choice should be offered at regular intervals. Elections must be held every few years.
- The candidates preferred by the people should get elected.
- Elections should be conducted in a free and fair manner, where people can choose as they wish.