Do democracies lead to peaceful and harmonious life among citizens? Clarify.
- Democracies lead to peaceful and harmonious life among citizens.
- Non-democratic regimes often turn a blind eye to or suppress internal social differences. Ability to handle social differences, divisions and conflicts is thus a definite plus point of democratic regimes.
- But the example of Sri Lanka exhibits that a democracy must fulfil two conditions in order to achieve this outcome:
- Democracy is not simply rule by majority opinion. The majority always needs to work with the minority so that governments function to represent the general view.
- That rule by majority does not become rule by majority community in terms of religion or race or linguistic group, etc.