Differentiate between Overlapping and Cross Cutting Social difference with suitable examples.
- Overlapping social differences create possibilities of deep social divisions and tensions.
- In overlapping, one kind of social difference becomes more important than the other and the people start feeling that they belong to a different community.
For example : in Northern Ireland caste and religion overlap each other.
- Catholics and Protestants have had conflicts in Northern Ireland.
- Cross-cutting social difference are easier to accomodate.
- In cross-cutting, groups that share a common interest on one issue, are sometimes on different sides on different issues.
For example : in Netherlands, class and religion tend to cut cross each other.
- There are no conflicts in the Netherlands.