Describe the unification of Italy.
- ITALY had a long history of political fragmentation. It was scattered by several dynastic states.
- Italy was divided into seven states out of which, only one Sardinia Piedmont was ruled by an Italian Princely House.
- During 1830s, Giuseppe Mazzini had sought to put together a coherent programme for a unitary Italian Republic. He formed a secret society ‘Young Italy’ for the unification of Italy.
- Chief Minister, CavoUr who led the movements to unite the regions of Italy.
- He took the help of France and succeeded in defeating the Austrian forces in 1859.
- In 1860, they marched into South Italy and the kingdom of two Sicilies and succeeded in winning the support of the local peasants and drive out the Spanish rulers.
- In 1860, Victor Emmanuel-II was proclaimed King of United Italy.