Describe the structure of human lungs with the help of a diagram.
- A pair of lungs is present in the chest cavity one on either side of the heart.
- Lungs are spongy and elastic and are enclosed by two membranes called pleura.
- Space between the two membranes of pleura is filled with fluid. Pleura protects the lungs from injury.
- Right lung is larger than the left lung.
- Right lung is made of three lobes while the left lung has only two lobes.
- Lung has several thousands of alveoli which are supplied with blood capillaries.
- Pulmonary artery brings deoxygenated blood from heart to lungs.
- After entering the lung, this artery divides into several arterioles and capillaries
and supplies deoxygenated blood to alveoli. .
- Gas exchange occurs in the alveoli.
- Oxygenated blood is carried from the lung to heart by the pulmonary vein.