Describe the process of unification of Germany.
- NATIONALIST feelings were widespread among middle class Germans who tried to unite the different regions of the German confederation into a National state governed by an elected Parliament.
- Liberal initiative to nation building was repressed by the combined forces of the monarchy and the militaiy.
- Prussia took on the leadership of the movement for national unification. Its Chief Minister, Mr. Otto Von Bismarck was the architect of this process, which carried out with the help of the Prussian army and bureaucracy.
- Three wars over seven years ended in Prussian victory and completed the process of unification.
- In January 1871, the Prussian King, William-I, was proclaimed German emperor in a ceremony held at Versailles.