Describe the powers and functions of the Prime Minister of India.
The powers and functions of the Prime Minister of India are as follows :
- The Prime Minister is free to choose ministers. He distributes and redistributes work to the ministers. All ministers work under his leadership.
- Being the Chairman of the Cabinet, the Prime Minister presides over the meetings of the Cabinet.
- He coordinates the work of different departments. His decisions are final in case disagreement arises between different departments.
- He communicates to the President about all decisions of the Council of Ministers relating to the administration of union and proposals of legislation.
- He is the leader of the nation and people always remain eager to hear his views on all economic and political issues.