Describe the main features of ‘Poona Pact’.
- DR. B.R. AMBEDKAR organised the Dalits into the Depressed Classes Association in 1930 and demanded separate electorates for Dalits. The British Government conceded the demand.
- Gandhiji began a fast into death.
- Ambedkar accepted Gandhiji’s position and the result was the Poona Pact of September 1932.
- It gave the Depressed Classes reserved seats in provincial and central legislative councils.
- But they were to be voted in by the general electorate.