Describe the characteristics of ‘Black soil’?
Following are the characteristics of black soil:
- These soils are black in colour and are also known as regur soil. These are made up of lava flows.
- Black soil is ideal for the cultivation of cotton and is also known as black cotton soil.
- The black soil is made up of extremely fine clayey material and is well-known for water holding capacity.
- They develop deep cracks during hot weather which helps in the proper aeration of the soil.
- These soils are sticky when wet and difficult to work on.
- They cover the plateau of Maharashtra, Saurashtra, Malwa, MP and Chhattisgarh and extend in the south east direction along the Godavari and the Krishna valley.