Describe four main features of the ‘ Tonkin Free School’.
- THE ‘Tonkin Free School’ was started in Vietnam in 1907 to provide a western style education.
- This education included classes in science, hygiene and French.
- It was not enough to acquire knowledge in science and western ideas but was important to look modern.
- The schools encouraged the adaptation of western styles such as having a short haircut.
- This was major break for Vietnamese identity because they traditionally kept long hair.
- The French tried to strengthen their rule through the control of education and tried to change the values and perceptions of people to accept the superiority of French culture and civilisation.