Describe briefly about the meiosis or reduction division.
- Meiosis occurs only during the formation of gametes in sexual reproduction.
- During meiosis only one set of chromosomes are passed on to the daughter cells. Hence daughter cells have half the number of chromosomes of the mother cells.
- In meiosis karyokinesis and cytokinesis occur two times.
- During first phase of meiosis the parent cell divides twice, though the chromosomes
divide only once. .
- The second phase meiosis is similar to normal mitosis, but chromosomes do not duplicate, more over the chromosomes are distributed equally to each cells.
- These are haploid (containing only one set of chromosome).
- Thus meiotic division is also called reduction division.