Describe any three problems faced by the French in the sphere of education in Vietnam.
- THE French faced problem in the sphere of education. The elites in Vietnam were powerfully influenced by Chinese culture.
- The French had to counter this Chinese influence to consolidate their power. So, they systematically dismantled the traditional education system and established schools for the Vietnamese.
- There were two broad opinions on the language issue.
- Some policymakers emphasised the need to use the French language as the medium of instruction. They felt the Vietnamese would be introduced to the culture and civilisation of France.
- Others were opposed to French being the only medium of instruction. They suggested that the Vietnamese be taught in lower classes and French in the higher classes.