Describe any four measures which were introduced by the French revolutionaries to create a sense of collective identity amongst the French people.
Describe any four measures which were introduced by the French revolutionaries to create a sense of collective identity amongst the French people
- THE political and constitutional changes that come in the wake of the French Revolution led to the transfer of sovereignty from the monarchy to a body of French citizens.
- From the very beginning, the French revolutionaries introduced various measures that could create a sense of collective identity among the French people.
- A new French flag, the tricolour was chosen to replace the former royal standard.
- The Estates General was elected by the body of active citizens and renamed the National Assembly.
- New hymns were composed.
- Oaths taken and martyrs commemorated all in the name of the nation.
- A centralised administrative system was put in place and it formulated uniform laws.
- Internal customs duties and dues were abolished.
- A uniform system of weights and measures was adopted.
- Regional dialects were discouraged.
- French, as it was spoken and written in Paris became the common language of nation.