Describe any five major functions of Political Party.
Functions of Political Party:
- Political Parties Contest Flections: Elections are fought mainly among the candidates put up by political parties.
- Parties put forward different policies and programmes and the voters choose from them.
- Parties Make Laws: Parties play a decisive role in making laws for a country. Laws are debated and passed in the Legislature.
- Parties Form and Run Governments: The big policy decisions are taken by political executive that comes from political parties.
- Role of Opposition: Those parties that lose in the elections play the role of opposition to the parties in power by voicing different views and criticising government for its faliures.
- Parties Shape Public Opinions: They raise and highlight issues. Sometimes they launch movements for the resolution of problems faced by people.
- Parties provide people access to government machinery and welfare schemes implemented by governments. For an ordinary citizen, it is very easy to approach a local party leader than a government officers.