Define the following:
- Longitudinal wave
- Transverse wave
- In longitudinal waves, the individual particles of the medium move in a direction parallel to the direction of propagation of the disturbance.
- In transverse waves, the individual particles of the medium move about its mean position in a direction perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation.
- Loudness is the measure of the sound energy reaching the ear per second.
- Pitch is that characteristic of sound by which we can distinguish between different sounds of the same loudness.
- The quality or timbre of sound is that characteristic of sound which enables us to distinguish one
sound from another having the same pitch and loudness.