Define Constitution. Why India as a democracy needed a Constitution?
The Constitution of a country is a set of written rules that are accepted by all people living together in a - country. Constitution is the supreme law that determines the relationship among people living in a territory and also the relationship between the people and the government.
We, as citizen of a democratic country need the Constitution for the following reasons:
- It specifies how the government will be constituted and who will have power to take which decisions.
- It lays down the limits of the power of the government and tells us what are the rights of the citizens.
- It generates a degree of trust and coordination that is necessary for different kinds of people to live together.
- It expresses the aspiration of the people about creating a good society.
- It safeguards the interests of minorities, backward classes, poor and weaker sections of society.