Briefly discuss the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award with its objectives.
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award : Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award is presented for the spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports to the sports¬persons in a year (April 1 to March 31). This award is presented to one sportsperson from individual sports but it can be given to more than one person in case of team games. The selection committee do not have discretionary power to select only a few members of a team for the award. This may disrupt the team spirit. However, if in the opinion of the selection committee, there is no performance deserving this award in a particular year, it may not be given in that year. This award consists of the following :
- A cash amount of Rs. 7-5 lakh exempted from income tax and wealth tax in the year in which it is disbursed. In case the award is given to more than one sports-persons of the team, the amount shall be divided equally i.e., Rs, 3-75 lakh for each sportsperson.
- A scroll of honour to each sportsperson.
- One plaque to each sportsperson. The selected sportsperson for this award is also provided a blazer, a tie and the reimbursement of TA/DA at the rates decided by the department for coming to Delhi to receive the award.
The amount of award may be given either in cash or in the form of saving certificates or otherwise, as deemed fit by the Government. The achievements in the sports and games which are included in Olympic Games. Asian Games, Commonwealth Games and in billiards snooker and the chess shall be eligible for consideration for this award.
Objectives of the Award.
There are following objectives of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award :
- To honour the sportspersons to enhance their general status in society and also to give them greater dignity and place of honour in society.
- To motivate the sportspersons to give then- highest performance in sports events.
- To intensify the spread of sports culture throughout the counrry.