Analyse the role of ‘Hoa Hao’ movement to arouse anti-imperialist sentiments in Vietnam.
- HOA Hao movement inspired against colonial rule.
- It began in 1939 and gained popularity in Mekong delta area.
- The founder of Hoa-Hao movement perfortied miracles and helped the poor.
- He criticised the ceaseless expenditure. He also opposed the sale of child brides, gambling and the use of alcohol and opium.
- Political parties often draw upon their support but were uneasy about their activities.
- Significance of these movements in arousing imperialist sentiments should not be underestimated.
- They could not control or discipline these groups nor support their rituals and practices.