‘Agriculture has been the backbone of Indian economy\ Explain the statement by giving three reason.
India is primarily an agricultural country.
- Two third of its population is engaged in agricultural activities which provide livelihood.
- Agriculture is a primary activity and produces most of the food and food grains that we consume.
- Agriculture produces raw materials for our various industries, For example: cotton textile and sugar industry.
- Some agricultural products like tea, coffee and spices are exported and earn foreign exchange.
- The share of agriculture in providing employment and livelihood to the population continued to be as high as 63% in 2001.