A scientist has come across a plant which he feels is a new species. How will he go about its identification, classification and nomenclature ?
Steps are as follows :
• By using keys first of all scientist will identify the proper taxonomic position (division, class, order and family) of the new species.
• By using keys he will identify the genus of new species.
• By following the principles and criteria provided in International Code for Botanical Nomenclature (ICBN), he will assign a specific name to newly discovered species.
• Type specimen or holotype of this species is placed in recognised herbarium and museum.
• Finally name, description and report of the discovery is published in a related scientific journal.