1) We need energy to stay alive.
2) We get this energy from food we eat.
3) During digestion, food is broken down into simpler substances.
4) For example, rice and potato contains starch.
5) The starch breaks down to form glucose.
6) This glucose combines with oxygen in the cells of our body and releases energy, which helps to do the various works.
7) During this process, energy is given out. Hence this reaction can be called exothermic reaction.
8) The special name of this reaction is respiration.
9) So, respiration is considered as exothermic reaction.