Amongst weavers, some produced coarse cloth while others finer cloth.
- The coarse cloth was bought by the poor and its demand fluctuated.
- In times of bad harvests and famines, rural poor could not possibly buy the cloth.
- But the rich could buy this finer cloth, when the poor starved. So famines did not affect the sale of Banarasi or Baluchari saris.
- These weavers lived tough lives and worked for long durations. Very often, the entire family,
- including women and children had to work to survive.