What types of characters are portrayed in Chandu Menon’s novel ‘Indulekha’?
- Menon portrayed Indulekha as a woman of breathtaking beauty, with high intellectual abilities, artistic talent and with an education in English and Sanskrit.
- Madhavan, the hero of the novel, was also presented in ideal colours. He was a member of the newly English educated class of Nayars from the University of Madras.
- He was also a ‘first-rate’ Sanskrit scholar.
- He dressed in western clothes, but at the same time, he kept a long tuft of hair, according to the Nayar custom.
- Characters like Indulekha and Madhavan showed readers onhow Indian and foreign lifestyles could be brought together in an ideal combination.