What kind of life is depicted in the novel, “Titash Ekti Nadir Naam”?
- It is an epic about the Mallas, a community of fisherfolk who live off fishing in the river Titash.
- The story is about a child Ananta, whose parents were tragically separated on their wedding night.
- Ananta leaves the community to get educated in the city. The novel describes the community life of Mallas in great detail, their Holi and Kali Puja festivals, boat races, bhatiali songs, their relationships of friendship and the oppression of the upper castes.
- Slowly the community breaks up and the Mallas start fighting amongst themselves as new cultural influences from the cities start penetrating their lives.
- The life of the community and that of the river is intimately tied. Their end comes together; as the river dries up, the community dies too.