Thermite process :
- When highly reactive metals such as Sodium, Calcium, Aluminium etc., are used as reducing agents they displace metals of lower reactivity from the com-pound.
- These are exothermic reactions.
- The amount of heat evolved is so large that the metals produced in molten state.
- The reaction of iron oxide with aluminium is used to join railing of railway tracks or cracked machine parts. This reaction is known as the thermite reaction.
Applications of thermite reaction in daily life :
- To join railings of railway tracks.
- To join cracked machine parts.