What is the importance of water for plant life?
Water is very essential for the survival and growth of plants.
- Seeds germinate in the presence of water.
- Water helps in the growth of plants.
- Plants manufacture their food by the process of photosynthesis in the presence of sunlight, carbon dioxide, water and a green pigment called chlorophyll.
- Water dissolves the nutrients present in the soil which is then transported to the various parts of the plant.
- Water provides a medium for transportation of food and minerals within the plant.
- Water also helps in maintenance of the plant structure by providing appropriate pressure to the plant tissues.