What happened to the poor farmers after the use of new technology?
- For the poorer farmers, machines brought misery.
- They got loans from banks to buy these machines.
- Those who borrowed found it difficult to repay their debts.
- Many of them deserted their farms and looked for jobs elsewhere.
- But jobs were difficult to find as mechanisation had reduced the need for labour.
- Production had expanded so rapidly during the war and post-war years that there was surplus.
- Wheat prices fell due to overproduction and export markets collapsed. This created the ground for the Great Agrarian Depression of the 1930s that ruined wheat farmers everywhere.