- Worried by the developments, the colonial government began arresting the Congress leaders one by one.
- This led to violent clashes in many places.
- A month later when Mahatma Gandhi himself was arrested, industrial workers in Sholapur attacked police posts, municipal buildings, law courts and railwaystations—all structures that symbolised British rule.
- A frightened government responded with a policy of brutal suppression.
- Peaceful satyagrahis were attacked, women and children were beaten, and about 1,00,000 people were arrested.