State some economic benefits of rivers and lakes.
- Water from the rivers is a basic natural resource, essential for various human activities.
- The river banks have attracted settlers from ancient times. These settlements have now become big cities.
- Using rivers for irrigation, navigation, hydro-power generation is of special significance.
- Rivers are very significant for countries like India where agriculture is the livelihood for a majority of the population.
- Lakes help to develop tourism and provide recreation.
- Rivers have been of fundamental importance throughout human history.