- Women in Vietnam traditionally enjoyed greater equality than in China.
- As the nationalist movement grew, the status of women emerged with a new image of womanhood.
- Writers and political thinkers began idealising women who rebelled against social norms.
- In the 1930s, a famous novel by Nhat Linh caused a scandal because it showed a woman leaving a forced marriage and marrying someone of her choice, who was involved in nationalist politics.
- This rebellion marked the arrival of the new women in the Vietnamese society.