Aim : To verify the 1st law of reflection.
Required material: Mirror strip, drawing board, white paper, pins, clamps, scale
1) Take a drawing board and fix a white paper on it with the help of clamps.
2) Draw a straight line AB at the centre of the paper and also a normal (ON) to AB at point 'O'.
3) Draw a straight line PQ making certain angle (Angle i) with ON.
4) Fix two pins at the points P and Q on the paper vertically.
5) Observe the image P' of the pin 'P' and 'Q' of the pin 'Q' in the mirror kept along the line AB.
6) Fix two more pins R and S such that they are in the same line as that of P' and Q'. Join RjS and 'O'.
7) Measure the angle between RS and ON (angle of reflection).
8) You will find that Angle of incidence = Angle of reflection
9) Repeat the experiment with different angles of incidence and measure the corresponding angles of reflection.
10) In all cases you will observe Angle of incidence = Angle of reflection
11) Hence 1st law of reflection is verified.