Aim : To verify the 1st law of reflection.
Required material: Mirror strip, drawing board, white paper, pins, clamps, scale
- Take a drawing board and fix a white paper on it with the help of clamps.
- Draw a straight line AB at the centre of the paper and also a normal (ON) to AB at point ‘O’.
- Draw a straight line PQ making certain angle (Angle i) with ON.
- Fix two pins at the points P and Q on the paper vertically.
- Observe the image P’ of the pin ‘P’ and ‘Q’ of the pin ‘Q’ in the mirror kept along the line AB.
- Fix two more pins R and S such that they are in the same line as that of P’ and Q’. Join RjS and ‘O’.
- Measure the angle between RS and ON (angle of reflection).
- You will find that Angle of incidence = Angle of reflection
- Repeat the experiment with different angles of incidence and measure the corresponding angles of reflection.
- In all cases you will observe Angle of incidence = Angle of reflection
- Hence 1st law of reflection is verified.