How can you prove that the water transport through the xylem ?
To observe the path of water through
Apparatus : Balsam plant, Beaker, Eosine
1) A leafy green shoot of Balsam plant with a transparent stem is placed in Eosine solution (It is red dye resulting from the action of. bromine).
2) After sometime red streaks appear in the stem and veins of leaves become red.
3) If a transverse section is cut through the root stem and leaf, the tissue that has been stained is xylem tissue.
4) This shows that water moves up the root into the stem and leaves in the xylem tracheids and vessels.
5) The other tissues remain in the same colour.
Conclusion : The xylem tissue is the tissue responsible for the upward movement of water through the plant.