How can you prove that the water transport through the xylem ?
To observe the path of water through
Apparatus : Balsam plant, Beaker, Eosine
- A leafy green shoot of Balsam plant with a transparent stem is placed in Eosine solution (It is red dye resulting from the action of. bromine).
- After sometime red streaks appear in the stem and veins of leaves become red.
- If a transverse section is cut through the root stem and leaf, the tissue that has been stained is xylem tissue.
- This shows that water moves up the root into the stem and leaves in the xylem tracheids and vessels.
- The other tissues remain in the same colour.
Conclusion : The xylem tissue is the tissue responsible for the upward movement of water through the plant.