Give main characteristics of the largest peninsular river.
Which river is known as ‘Dakshin Ganga’? State any two characteristics of it
- The Godavari is the largest peninsular river.
- Its length is about 1500 km. Its drainage basin is also the largest amongst the peninsular rivers.
- The basin covers the parts of Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and Andhra Pradesh.
- The Godavari is joined by a number of tributaries such as the Purna, the Wardha, the Pranhita, the Manjra, the Wainganga and the Penganga.
- The last three tributaries are very large. Because of its length and the area it covers, it is also known as ‘Dakshin Ganga’.