Functions of Blood: Blood plays a key role in the functioning of our body. It performs the following functions :
- Transport of oxygen from the lungs to the tissues and carbon dioxide from the tissues to the lungs.
- It carries food material absorbed from the intestines to the tissue cells for growth, energy and repair purposes.
- It carries the waste products of cellular activity and carries them to kidneys, lungs, intestines, etc. for excretion.
- It carries hormones, vitamins and other essential chemicals to the places of need.
- Helps maintain water balance in the body.
- It helps in the regulation of body temperature because of the presence of water in it.
- Blood acts as a defensive mechanism due to the bacteria fighting qualities of white blood cells.
- Due to the property of coagulation, it guards against haemorrhage or blood loss.