The important characteristics of wave motion :
(1) Wave motion is a short of disturbance which travels
through a medium.
(2) A material medium is essential for the propagation
of mechanical waves. The medium must posses three properties , viz., elasticity, inertia and minimum friction amongst the particles of the medium.
(3) The velocity of the particles during their vibration is
different at different positions.
(4) Energy is propagated along with the wave motion
without any net transport of the medium.
(5) There is a continuous phase difference amongst
successive particles of the medium