Functions of Muscular System:
Muscular system is just like a machine which converts chemical energy into mechanical energy. As we are well aware that there are three types of muscles in our body viz. skeletal muscles, smooth muscles and cardiac muscles. Each type of muscle performs specific function. Along this, there are two types of skeletal muscle fibres in a human body namely, red fibres and white fibres. They are also called slow twitch fibres and fast twitch fibres respectively. These fibres also have different functions. The various types of muscles and fibres perform the following functions :
1. Big muscles provide protection to the bones.
2. Some muscles help in increasing the range of movements.
3. Muscles also provide shape to the human body.
4. The two types of skeletal muscle fibres i.e., slow twitch fibres and fast twitch fibres perform different types of functions. Slow twitch fibres contract at a slow rate. These fibres play vital role in endurance activities or aerobic activities, such as in cross country race or long distance races. The fast twitch fibres contract at a fast rate. These fibres produce explosive power. These fibres perform fast repetitive contraction. These fibres are used in 100 M race or sprint races, high jump, weightlifting, basketball and football, etc. These .fibres play vital role in performing anaerobic activities.
5. Smooth muscles are concerned with the movements of internal organs, such as those of the stomach, intestines, visceral and blood vessels.
6. Cardiac muscles perform pumping action of the heart.
7. Skeletal muscles provide the force for movement of the skeletal system. These muscles perform movements at our own will.
8. Muscle contractions usually carry out one of the two things — either they maintain a posture or they cause movement.