The post-fertilization events in a organism are as follows:
- All those events in sexual reproduction after the formation of the zygote,are called post-fertilization events.
- The zygote is the vital link,that ensures continuity of species between organisms of one generation and of the next.
- Development of the zygote depends on :
a.The type of life cycle of the organism.
b. The environment it is exposed to.
- In many algae and fungi,the zygote develops a thick wall around it and undergoes a period of rest before germination.
- In organisms showing haplontic life cycle,the zygote undergoes meiosis,while in organisms showing diplontic life cycle, the zygote undergoes mitosis.
- The zygote develops into an embryo(embryogenesis).
7.Embryogenesis involves :
a. Cell division,to increase the number of cells.
b. Cell enlargement or growth, to increase the volume/weight of living matter.
c. Cell differentiation, for the formation of different kinds of tissues.